Helpful
Replies

Network Implementation using Cisco 2811

chrislgicale
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Good day!

Previously /24 subnetting is suffice to our users, but moving forward to a bigger number of users I'm looking to extend our subnetting to /22 to accommodate the whole project site network. I'm detailing our estimated users, as well as available resources for your suggestion. Sorry not all are cisco devices.

*Head Office*

/24 subnet

100 users

50 IP phones (Polycom)

Cisco 2811 as gateway and serial going to project site

Cisco WS-C2960S-24TS-L for data network

CIsco WS-C2960S-24PS-L for voice network

One DHCP/AD server

One virtualization server

*Project Site*

currently /24 --> will extend to /22

350 - 400 users are expected

100 IP phones (Polycom)

Cisco 2811 as gateway and serial going to head office

Cisco WS-C2960S-24TS-L for data network

CIsco WS-C2960S-24PS-L for voice network

three project sites are connected thru fiber-optic

Two DHCP/AD server (currently)

One virtualization server

I'm focus more on project site since I'm the one handling and managing it, but has limited skills in implementation, and my first time to have this number of users and devices. One of my colleagues says, I have to add Cisco 4500g as my distribution and core switch while implementing VLANs.

I know with the help of members here, I can have some good to great solutions using my available devices.

Thank you in advance.

Chris

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Depending on you traffic flows, if there's no need for intra-site routing, the 2811 can route between VLANs hosted on the 2960Ss.  (If you need intra-site routing, the 2811 can do that too, but they likely would be a bottleneck.  [I'm also assuming the WAN link is small enough, the 2811s won't be a bottleneck for that.])

The 2960S, with later IOS versions, support limited static routing.  This could be used in conjunction with routing on the 2811s.

If you need LAN routing, with full routing support, you'll want to consider obtaining a L3 switch.  For a LAN as small as yours, you don't need core and distribution layers, collapsed core will be fine.  For a L3 switch, you might consider a 3xxx or 49xx switch.

Thanks Joseph.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card