cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Infrastructure

manojkumarnb
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question which may be very basic thing, but a network engineer should be very aware of. The question is .....While purchasing a router or a switch what all are the basic things or parameters or the attributes we should take care and how can we check those things in the product. Please give me an answer for it.

3 Replies 3

nikolasgeyer
Level 1
Level 1

I am confused a little by your question, as the requirements change depending on what exactly you need.

As an example if you need a switch with SFP's to terminate fiber based Ethernet, you wouldnt buy something that only has copper based RJ45 ports.

Cisco provide ample amounts of documentation on their products which you just cross reference against to meet your requirements.

hoogen_82
Level 4
Level 4

You might be a part of the solutions team, and the best place to start are the Datasheets. They are very comprehensive and to the point. The rest depends on what your customer wants and based on his inputs look into the datasheets to find appropriate products.

-Hoogen

Do rate if this post helps you :)

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

My dear friend...Its not so easy to suggest something to somebody. It takes a hell lot of pain in understanding the requirement, imagining setup and the workables (even workarounds).....And last of all, materialize everyting so that everything works according to the plan. A single or minute mistake can lead to a disaster.

The most basic knowledge is the most complicated one. Its very hard to define what knowledge you must have to suggest a something.... But its high time you start reading cisco.com.............

If you are planning to purchase something, then do write back your requirement (dont forget to elobrate). Maybe you can be helped...

Regards

JD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card