Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Lab

helpdesk
Level 1
Level 1

I need some help with our network Lab.

I'm working on my CCNA and I have a 1720 router with two 56K/Wic dsu cards and would like to know what's needed to connect both cards to simulate a frame relay connection using this router.

should I make a cable to make the connection between the cards, and what's needed to get both talking and the protocol working.

thanks for any help you can give on this.

Stephen Sisson

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You need separate routers for each frame relay endpoint, and one for a frame relay switch. You can't route packets externally between 2 interfaces on the same router.

I have done this with serial interfaces between the routers, but never with WIC internal CSU/DSUs. It should work, but I couldn't find any examples of this.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

You will need a 3rd router to act as a frame relay switch. Not sure if this capability is still in more current code. This doc is for 11.1.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1820/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080087535.html#xtocid1747018

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks.

I have another router - a 2501 and I need one more ?

Can I use three different routers?

thanks again.

You need separate routers for each frame relay endpoint, and one for a frame relay switch. You can't route packets externally between 2 interfaces on the same router.

I have done this with serial interfaces between the routers, but never with WIC internal CSU/DSUs. It should work, but I couldn't find any examples of this.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card