Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Network Lab

I need some help with our network Lab.

I'm working on my CCNA and I have a 1720 router with two 56K/Wic dsu cards and would like to know what's needed to connect both cards to simulate a frame relay connection using this router.

should I make a cable to make the connection between the cards, and what's needed to get both talking and the protocol working.

thanks for any help you can give on this.

Stephen Sisson

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Blue

Re: Network Lab

You need separate routers for each frame relay endpoint, and one for a frame relay switch. You can't route packets externally between 2 interfaces on the same router.

I have done this with serial interfaces between the routers, but never with WIC internal CSU/DSUs. It should work, but I couldn't find any examples of this.

3 REPLIES
Blue

You will need a 3rd router to act as a frame relay switch. Not sure if this capability is still in more current code. This doc is for 11.1.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1820/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080087535.html#xtocid1747018

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks.

I have another router - a 2501 and I need one more ?

Can I use three different routers?

thanks again.

Blue

You need separate routers for each frame relay endpoint, and one for a frame relay switch. You can't route packets externally between 2 interfaces on the same router.

I have done this with serial interfaces between the routers, but never with WIC internal CSU/DSUs. It should work, but I couldn't find any examples of this.

Views
Helpful
Replies