Views
Helpful
Replies

Network resilience

raoul2341
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone

Could someone please help with the following query.

We are trying to implement a change on our network (please see the attached network diagram).

Please note that the links in red are new links that needs to be implemented. The 2 sites are part of the same logical network and we use different subnets  on the 2 sites and all the vlan interfaces are defined on the layer 3 switch on site A and ALL traffic bound for the WAN goes via Firewall 1 and Router 1 using static routes.

We are in the process of adding another link the the WAN as seen on the diagram. The 2 new requirements are:

1. We want traffic from Vlan 30 and 40 bound for the private network to go via the new link (Firewall B and Router B)

2. In case of failure of Router A or Router B, we want all traffic bound for the private network to go via the Router that is up.

Any help implementing these requirements is greatly appreciated.

Raoul.

3 Replies 3

Hello,

You might consider to run a routing protocol between 2 sites(all devices) and then adjust path cost on 2 coreswitches to prefer WAN link. In case WAN link's down the coreswitch should use fiber(backdoor) instead.

HTH,

Toshi

Thanks Toshi for your reply. I knew that I needed to implement a routing protocol between 2 sites but I need help on where and how to implement.

Thanks

Raoul

Hi,

Okay you need to do as follows:

Lets say OSPF is what I want.

Both sites

1. L3 switch(including fiber(backdoor) , ASA , WAN Router  running OSPF.

2. L3 switch will see network(vlan) of other sites via 2 possible paths. It should use fiber first.

3. You just modify cost on fiber link to be worst(65535) than a link(summary cost) connected to Firewall.

HTH,

Toshi

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card