cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

network setup

choisam77
Level 1
Level 1

hi. i'm very new to networking. i need some help choosing equipments for my network. i have one t1 point to point and either one t1 internet or cable. i might need both of t1 internet and cable later on but for now i only need one. i will be using 10 computer station but within a year will be using 24. another 2 year maybe 48. we are planning to use t1 point to point for just one application alone and other using t1 internet/cable. bandwidth wise 10-15 stations will eat up all t1. i think i need router and switch but not sure what to get or how the setup will look like. if anyone can help me i would really appreciate it. thanks.

ps we are equity trading firm. we need stable and fast network.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Since 1841 has only 2 slots, and if you put one wic-1dsu-t1-v2 card (1 port T1 card) on each slot, you are out of options for a third t1 if you plan to add in the future. Versus if you spend money on a 2811 or 2821 right now, you get 4 HWIC slots and also a network module slot. This provides a lot of expansion options, if you wish to go beyond the 2 T1 limit...

Hope that makes sense.

PS: Please remember to rate helpful posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Considering your expansion options, Cisco docs recommend using 2800 series for 20 - 50 users environment for up to 2 T1s. Even though the documents recommend 2800s, you should be fine using an 1800.

For routing traffic across different T1s for specific applications, you will need to configure policy routing.

HTH

PS: please remember to rate replies!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

thanks for your reply. i found out that my next door office is in voice telecom business and they said that they will share their t3 line and install our network. we got pretty good deal on t1 lines but i'm not sure on router. they said that for 500 us dollars they will install and configure router for us. router they are going to use is cisco 2514. they said that that will be all i need. can anyone post some help on that? thanks.

Hello,

it depends on what you get for those 500 dollars. The 2514 is an end of sale and end of life model, which means that it is not sold and supported anymore. If that company installs, configures and agrees to maintain the router for you (which should include that they replace and troubleshoot it if needed for an extended period of time), you should be ok. For a one-time install, 500 dollars is very expensive, you can get a 2514 for 20 dollars on Ebay and configure it within 5 minutes.

Regards,

Nethelper

for one time fee of 500 include router, installation of the router, and maintaining network. they have their own minimum point of entry for their t3 and we are using 2 t1 through their network. so they told me they are going to maintain the traffic. my business requires stable and fast connection. should i just buy router like 1800 serious and tell them to reduce the one time fee of 500 dollar? thanks.

they told me that they will replace/upgrade router if needed. also, they keep mentioning that their network is on sonic ring. is that good? should that matter on how much they charge me for t1 lines? thanks.

Can you tell me where you are located? In the US or elsewhere? Depending on where you are you could get a managed router with a T1 for cheaper than $500 per month and then it is all yours and you are not sharing the bandwidth with other companies.

Also not having to share your bandwidth will be a huge factor when you start wanting to connect to the other sites. Imagine that you bring on a connection to another site but the bandwidth is being used by your company and other people in the building. Are they going to guarantee how much bandwidth they will give you?

Hope this helps

please remember to rate all replies

i'm located in new jersey usa. what do you mean by managed router? do you mean that for one time payment they give you router and install and manage router? if cheaper, how much is fiar value? about sharing the bandwidth, we are getting dedicated line. so one point to point t1 at 1.5 speed and internet t1 also at 1.5 only for our office. one more thing, if we only need to connect 3 computer stations, and if router has 8 lan port, do we need switch? is their benefits of using switch? i'm not sure but they said that they are going to connet t1 point to point to router and t1 internet to switch. i'm not good at networking so if anyone can explain little about what they are doing, that would be great. you guys been great help. thanks.

When you sign up for managed service, the router is not owned by you, instead the router belongs to your service provider (who ever that is). They maintain all configuration and maintenance on the box. If it fails, they will replace the router at no cost to you. Most managed services also provide you with utilisation statistics and reports on your monthly usage.

If router has a network module or wic with switch ports, to connect 3 computer stations, you dont need more than 3 ports So you should be fine.

HTH

Sankar

PS: Please remember to rate helpful posts@!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

i confirmed it with them that it will be managed service.

i'm planning to connect more than 10 stations at the beginning. i believe router they will provide has less port. i guess i'll need a switch also. i'll write more detail on the equipment and setup as i get more informtaion.

again, thanks for all your help.

i'm getting real close to opening my office. but i'm still clueless on what router and switch to get. for router, either 1800 series or 2800. for switch, have no clue. can anyone give me specific model name for router and switch? thanks.

Hi,

I would suggest you get the 2821 (for future expansion) although the 1841 will handle your needs.

For the switch, you should go for something basic like the Cisco Catalyst Express 500-24TT, which has 24 10/100 ports and 2 10/100/1000 uplinks.

If you need more switching capacity in the future, you can simply add another switch ...

Paresh

thanks for your help. i decided on the switch but have couple of questions on the router. i need a router that can handel two t1. i know 2821 has that but i couldn't find if 1841 has that option or not. does 1841 can connet two t1 lines? also, what do you mean by expansion. can you tell me what do you mean by expansion? one more thing. does that switch can connect to router and cable broadband? i want to have switch that can also be connected to cable broadband so that one line that connect to router handle data flow for one app and cable broadband handle all the rest. thanks.

The 1841 can certainly handle 2 T1 lines.

What I meant by expansion is that the 1841 only has 2 HWIC slots, whereas with the 2821 you get one network module slot and 4 HWIC slots...

So if in the future, you want additional WAN cards etc, you are better off going with the 2821.

Yes, the switch can connect to both the router and cable modem (since the cable modem will have an ethernet user-facing interface).

Paresh

additional wan cards? you lost me there...sorry. is that card where i can attach additional t1 lines? so confusing... again, thank you very much.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card