Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

tim

New Router Advice

I will be the first to admit that I have NO experience implementing routers other than the one at home. However, I have been thrown into a situation that I must step up and learn. With that said I am in need of some advise and direction.

We have a small network of 40 PC's (10 of those are internet only and do not access the server except for getting an IP and using DNS) and 1 server (file sharing, AD, DHCP and DNS) that are on 3 10/100 switches. Internet access is supplied by a T-1 going into a AdTran TotalAccess 600R. I have been told that all ports are OPEN and that we cannot have access to the router part of it to close ports, etc, etc and that we will need a router if that is what we want.

The way that the switches are setup now is disy chained from one switch to the other and that cannot be good... I would think I would need something that has at least 4 10/100 LAN ports (one for each switch and 1 for future use) and 1 WAN port (going to the 600r). I would also like to be able to see reports of which IP is using what bandwidth and see how much bandwidth is going in/out to the internet.

There is nothing in the next forseeable future for VOIP, so that feature is not needed. The only thing that I do see hapening in the next 6 months is the switch from the T-1 to 10mb cable or ethernet internet from a local provider.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me or maybe some other tips?

Tim

1 REPLY

Re: New Router Advice

for the switchs I would suggest you get 1 large switch as if you do a star topo (which would be better than current) you would still have a possible bottle neck

next it sounds like your just wanting security so I'd suggest for security you get a firewall

but if you go with a router an 1800 should be able to do what you want

(its avalible with a 8port switch built-in) and should be able to handle 10mbit

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content