cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to MPLS.

ddevecka
Level 1
Level 1

I am new the MPLS game and am looking for some information. What is the best way to configure MPLS? I have 3 point that have Ethernet hand off and one that is going 4XT1’s. Currently I have the ports configured with the IP’s and an trying to figure out where to use the next hop or do I set the default route with the next hop. Also all these sites currently are running on Point to Point T-1’s. I know this isn’t a ton of information but hopefully someone can share some knowledge. Thanks, Dan

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dan-

Do you use a routing protocol on your network? Do you use one with your MPLS provider? The default route should be used for internet traffic, does your internet traffic go out through the MPLS cloud?

We are currently running eigrp, and yes internet traffic will run to thru MPLS till it hit our data center then it will go out an exsisting 100 Meg pipe. I have attached a sketch of what we are doing.

You could see if the carrier will advertise the default route in your VPN. Otherwise you could just use a static default router on your CE router and point it to the PE router in the cloud.

Is it possible to use 2 default routes till I verify I can ping through the cloud? I have the port configured with the IP they gave me and then an additional default route added with the next hop, but I can't ping the next hop. One problem is one router is in England and the other is in the US, so I can't loose connection or I am toast. I was going to risk at one point and remove the current default route and just do a reload for 10 minutes later just incase I lost connection. Also no wr mem till I verified it worked.

Your 'reload in 10' is the best option. You could setup tracking and some other things, but you could still get locked out. Does the provider say you should be able to ping their gateway? Can you see their IP in the arp table? Can they ping you?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco