cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie alert: using switch for 2 networks - 1 with router - 1 on direct internet

csabatarnai73
Level 1
Level 1

All,

sorry for this newbie question but i have tried for many hours and cannot get this to work.  I am the proud owner of a cisco SGE2000P.  This switch is connected to a router which in turn is connected to an internet cable modem.  The router acts also a DHCP server.

I have two femtocells (these are network devices which create a 3G / UMTS radio coverage for home use and then channel the mobile voice traffic directly onto the internet - Vodafone sells them in many european markets - their main use is to fix network coverage problems in SME environments without expensive radio network investments).  These femtocells require direct access to the internet and cannot be placed behind a router.  Today i have connected the femtocells to the modem.  All is working well.

If possible, then I would like to connect the femtocells devices via the SWITCH to the Internet.  Benefit would be that the switch has POE and I can remove the external power adaptors on the femtocells.  Moreover from a network architecture it is a cleaner solution.  I have already tried setting up seperate VLAN and connect this to the three ports used, i.e. 2 ports for the femtocells and 1 port for direct connection to the MODEM.

However this does not seem to work.  Maybe I don't understand how VLANs work and i really need a physical separation between these LANs?

please help,

c

1 Reply 1

Tod Larson
Level 3
Level 3

Do normal computers connected to the switch access the Internet fine today?

I suspect what you need to do is port forward traffic from your Internet facing router/firewall to the femtocell.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card