Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie:Best way to 'erase' switch configuration and start over

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, can you help on this:

I attempted to do a 'erase startup config' on my Cat 2912 XL switch. I confirmed operations and I did reload. It reloaded and all configuration remained there. I didn't get it.

What's the best way to erase all the configuration in my switch? (WITHOUT making me reload my IOS image on flash!)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Marlon has stated in his post that he did erase startup config, confirmed the operations and reloaded the switch and the config is still there. Erase startup config is the same as write erase and thus the nvram config should have been cleared. I am just wondering if Marlon may have saved the running-config to nvram after he did the erase startup config and thus reinstated the startup config.

Marlon, can you make sure you don't save the config if the switch prompts you 'do you want to save the config' and reload the switch. Moreover, as Edison pointed out delete the vlan.dat file to delete the vlan configuration.

HTH

Sundar

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try 'write erase' and then reload.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

write erase as the other poster indicated along with delete flash:vlan.dat

Hi,

Marlon has stated in his post that he did erase startup config, confirmed the operations and reloaded the switch and the config is still there. Erase startup config is the same as write erase and thus the nvram config should have been cleared. I am just wondering if Marlon may have saved the running-config to nvram after he did the erase startup config and thus reinstated the startup config.

Marlon, can you make sure you don't save the config if the switch prompts you 'do you want to save the config' and reload the switch. Moreover, as Edison pointed out delete the vlan.dat file to delete the vlan configuration.

HTH

Sundar

Ahh ! I think you are right. I recall I was prompted to save the information and I confirmed. Let me try again as soon as I get home ! :-) Thanks all !!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: