Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie needs help with two 1841s

julian
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have two 1841s that need to cap off a P2P between our offices. I am pretty new to routers and can ping each routers serial interface and ethernet interfaces but I can not get it to hit across to the other subnets. I am pretty sure that I am missing a very basic premise somewhere.

I have two subnets, A & B. A is a 10.33.0.0/22 and B is a 10.33.4.0/24. Each subnet has it's own dedicated internet connection which is the first node address... for example 10.33.0.1. I have configured my DCs with a static route add 10.33.4.0 255.255.255.0 10.33.3.240 -p where 10.33.3.240 is the eth0/0 on the router A.

Subnet B is the reverse and eth0/0 on router B is 10.33.4.254.

Router A s0 is 206.186.244.122/30 and B is 206.186.244.121/30.

If I am on router A, I can ping 10.33.0.2, I can ping 10.33.3.240, and I can also ping 206.186.244.122 but in all my trials I have lost the ability to hit Router B.

If I try to view my ip routes, I get a message that says I have not configured a default gateway?

Any ideas?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

atif.awan
Level 3
Level 3

If you get the message that you do not have a default gateway configured then most probably you do not have ip routing turned on. Try putting the following command on your routers in global configuration mode:

ip routing

Make sure that you have the correct routes entered in both routers. Router A should have a route for subnet B with a next hop of router B and router B should have a route pointing to subnet A with a next hop or router A.

I am not going to get into the specifics of your design at the moment but there might be a way for you to use this p2p link without having to add static routes in all machines having to access resources across the site.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

atif.awan
Level 3
Level 3

If you get the message that you do not have a default gateway configured then most probably you do not have ip routing turned on. Try putting the following command on your routers in global configuration mode:

ip routing

Make sure that you have the correct routes entered in both routers. Router A should have a route for subnet B with a next hop of router B and router B should have a route pointing to subnet A with a next hop or router A.

I am not going to get into the specifics of your design at the moment but there might be a way for you to use this p2p link without having to add static routes in all machines having to access resources across the site.

I suspect that you static routes are not properly configured. Can you post the configs here. I noticed that in the static route added on the server, used a /24 subnet i.e. 255.255.255.0. This can lead to partial connectivity as it does not cover the whole of your address range which is /22 (255.255.252.0). Ensure that your routers have the right subnet in their static routes.

I apologize, that was a typo on my part.

Thank you for your reply.

I saw an entry on another board where the gateway for subnet A would be router A and then on router A, 0.0.0.0 default route would point to 10.33.0.1 (or our firewall) Is this what you were refering to?

Thank you very much for taking the time to post here. I have been struggling with the for two days and you solved it in a few minutes.

I had been using SDM to configure the router and did not want to use the IOS to setup the router.

I have changed my default gateway in DHCP to be the 10.33.3.240 address of Router A and then have a default route 0.0.0.0 pointing to our firewall 10.33.0.1. I have tested connectivity and all seems well.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card