cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

next-hop-self & ebgp-multihop

yuanguitao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, i learn BGP recentdays. and when i did the experience about update message of BGP, i was confused. As we all know, in order to make the iBGP neighbor can direct to right next hop when an update message comes from an eBGP neighbor, we should configure a cmd: neighbor x.x.x.x next-hop-self which can change the original next hop. but i found another cmd "neighbor x.x.x.x multihop x "can reach the goal as well. what the difference between them? and how to conclude a accurate x , if you know that pls provide a example kindly.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The ebgp-multihop feature doesn't change the next-hop it is used when doing eBGP peering between 2  external peer addresses that are not directly connected.By doing this we change the outgoing TTL for eBGP from 1 to x or by default if we don't specify anything to 255.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The ebgp-multihop feature doesn't change the next-hop it is used when doing eBGP peering between 2  external peer addresses that are not directly connected.By doing this we change the outgoing TTL for eBGP from 1 to x or by default if we don't specify anything to 255.

Regards

Alain

Thank you for your answer. Now i have finished related labs. and i know the exactly difference between them. Thanks again.

yuanguitao
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your answer. Now i have finished related labs. and i know the exactly difference between them. Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card