Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5596UP - Change of Airflow

krueffer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

is it possible to change the airflow of a 5596UP from  front-to-back to back-to-front (reverse airflow)  without affecting the service? I consider to exchange the existing power supplies and fans one by one in a short period of time.

Will it affect the service? I would guess not. The only problem I see, is that the airflow during the time, when FANs and power supplies are swapped, will be not efficient enough to cool the system. (Sorry, I don't have lab gear to test with :-)

Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks!

Knut

3 Replies 3

James Watson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Knut - 

Did you try this? Was it service affecting? I would like to do the same on a 5596UP running NX-OS 5.2(1)N1(7). 

Regards, 

James

Hi,

we recently did this and we were advised to shut and reload the box.

No issues in doing it in our case. Was straightforward.

hope this helps

Mark

Hi - 

Thanks, Mark. Looking at other threads it seems it is "sometimes" possible if the replacement fans/PSU's are done quickly enough. (I gather you get a 60 second period to replace them all). 

However, as you say, probably best to power off, replace components and then power back on. 

Regards, 

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card