Views
Helpful
Replies

nexus 5K with port-channel bandwidth

rajesh.kumar
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Support Team

I have port-channel configured on Nexus 5K (version 5.0.3) with below configuration.

interface Ethernet1/9

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 60

speed 1000

channel-group 105 mode active

!

interface Ethernet1/10

switchport mode trunk

speed 1000

channel-group 105 mode active

!

interface port-channel105

switchport mode trunk

speed 1000

We have added GLC-SX-LH module to E1/1 and E1/10 and speed is set to 1000 (1Gig)

Now other side of E1/9 and E1/10 are not connected. Port-channel status is down

Po105        1     eth  trunk  down    No operational members      1000(D)  lacp

show interface port-channel 105 shows different bandwidth (100)

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,

question is under interface port-channel105

speed 1000 command inserted automatically.

Now if we connect otherisde of interface, during port-channel comes up.

what  will be the port-channel interface bandwidth ? will it change to  2Gig(2000). Why speed 1000 command inserted automatically on  port-channel.

Since it is migration, we want to be more specific on the port-channel configuration

Rgds

Rajesh kumar

1 Reply 1

Sam Byers
Level 1
Level 1

The speed command that automatically shows up under the port-channel interface applies to the speed of each member of the port-channel. So, if you have a port-channel of two links and they are both 10G links, the speed command would show: speed 10000. I'm not sure why this shows up automatically, maybe it's to push that command to the physical interfaces to make sure they are all like speeds.

You can change it to speed auto if you want to, that is default as it does not show up in the running config if configured.

Neither of these changes the aggregate bandwidth of the port-channel. The bandwidth will be the total of all of the member links combined (with overhead for the load-balancing being a little inefficient sometimes).

I know this post is older, and I'm sure your migration is done, but this is what I remember from my last migration.

I'm having trouble find documentation on this...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card