cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nightmare of time trying to register license

MikeCaditz
Level 1
Level 1

Bought a 2911 router from Provantage along with a 25-pack VPN remote user license. Simple enough.

Received a "Software License Claim Certificate" from Cisco by email. Good so far.

Followed the instructions on the certificate, i.e.went to Cisco "Product License Registration Page." Put in my "Product registration key" from the certificate. Put in the "Product ID" from the certificate,   "L-FL-SSLVPN25-K9="

Then I was asked for the "serial number." I may be blind, but nowhere on the certificate, nor on my invoice from Provantage, do I see a serial number. My registration was rejected.

So I called Cisco support. They created a case and said I would be contacted by email.

Next day I got an email from Cisco support saying they can't help me without a serial number.

I replied with an explanation that the problem was precisely that I had no serial number. I and was told to  go to a Cisco website with a tool to locate serial numbers from product IDs and get the serial number. I did so, and was told that no serial number could be found.

I wrote Cisco support back and informed them. They then gave me a serial number.

I went back to the Product License Registration page to attempt registration again, and was told the serial number is invalid.

I wrote back Cisco support and am awaiting a reply.

HELP!!! How can it be this diffucult to buy something from Cisco? Am I missing something here?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sean.cross
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Michael,

I believe Cisco licensing are asking for the serial number of your router. You can get this by running the following commands:

1. show version

****************************output surpressed****************************

Cisco 2911 (revision 1.0) with 224256K/37888K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FHK120xxxxxx (This is your device serial number)

2. show inventory

NAME: "2911 chassis", DESCR: "2911 chassis"

PID: CISCO2911         , VID: V01 , SN: FHK120xxxxx

Try registering your license again using the Produce License Registration Page and use the chassis serial number when asked.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Sean

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

sean.cross
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Michael,

I believe Cisco licensing are asking for the serial number of your router. You can get this by running the following commands:

1. show version

****************************output surpressed****************************

Cisco 2911 (revision 1.0) with 224256K/37888K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FHK120xxxxxx (This is your device serial number)

2. show inventory

NAME: "2911 chassis", DESCR: "2911 chassis"

PID: CISCO2911         , VID: V01 , SN: FHK120xxxxx

Try registering your license again using the Produce License Registration Page and use the chassis serial number when asked.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Sean

Thank you. That worked.

I wish Cisco's registraton page made that clear. It asks for "serial number," which implies the serial number of the product I am registering (i.e. the VP licenses).

Help! I "successfully" registered the VPN license with the appliance chasis serial number, but the appliance will not accept the license!

Please see my new topic:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3496282#3496282

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card