cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Not sure which model to pick

CSCO10566640
Level 1
Level 1

I have to access management traffic from customer sites that are each dropped off from a fibre ring. I think I need a router at each site but it has to have 2 1000Base SX or LX fibre ports, and at least one 100BaseT. I cannot find a model lower that the 3825 that will do this. Its an expensive way of getting Ethernet traffic around a fibre ring !!

Any ideas are really welcomed

thanks

Bob

1 Accepted Solution
6 Replies 6

a.hajhamad
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If i got ur point correctly, any Layer3 switch can do this job like 3560 or 3750 2 or 4 fiber uplinks.

Make sure to order SFPs either long or short based on your requirement and also take care for the standard or enhanced images.

Standard image supports static and defaut route, and the extended supports dynamic routing protocols.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/index.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/index.html

I hope this is fine!

Please rate if it is helpful answer

Thanks

Abd Alqader

I think you may be right - but just to check I will have a ring of up to 250 L3 Switches - will than not cause spanning tree to go bananas if a fibre trunk is broken (as will have to be each time a new customer is added to the ring? Also, the routing protocol would have to be IS-IS or OSPF if the "hop count exceeds 255. Or have I missed the point ??

Many thanks

Bob

Here is a diagram - I have only shown 3 sites, but there may be hundreds. Each customer equipment will need an IP address

This depends of the network topology, i think the best option "cheaper" is to use star topology "main site with one or two fiber links connected to each remote site". If there are two fiber links to each remote site, i think it is required to have two aggregation switches like Cisco 6500 series with fiber modules in order to get high availability. And also the same thing at the branch site "two L3 switches" if your budget permits.

You have to choose either layer2 or layer3 links between the main site and also the remote sites. I think Layer3 will be better since you can use the two links at the same time "load-sharing".

Don't worry about the disconnection when adding a new remote site since this is done by your telecom provider transmission team either point-to-point or anything else.

But take care for interface from either main site or remote site, since maybe they can provide you with RJ45 or fiber interfaces.

I recommend contact your Cisco Representative person before ordering your devices.

I hope this is fine.

Please rate if it is helpful!

Thanks

Abd Alqader

Thanks for the reply - I totally agree - that is the way I wanted it - but my company is forcing me down the "ring" topology. I am also not sure if the fixed configuration 3560 and 3750 switches. can be ordered with the long haul fibre ports - it is unclear in the product brochure.

So if you HAD to use the ring toplogy - how would you do it ?

best regards

Bob

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card