Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

NPE-G2 CPU load

We were having CPU load issues with our pair of core routers, both 7206VXR/NPE-G1's and after some research decided we would simply upgrade them to NPE-G2's. We did so but the vendor shipped them with blank CF cards, so I downloaded an image from cisco.com. I chose c7200p-spservicesk9-mz.124-4.XD4.bin.

Although we are having less problems due to load than we were before, the numbers have not improved all that much. We are still seeing about 90% utilization at peak times and occasionally hitting 100%, not unlike before the upgrade.

What is happening here? Does the NPE-G2 report CPU load differently? Would a different image (i.e. feature set) make any difference? Is there any other reason that we wouldn't have seen much of an improvement with the upgrade?

Our feature requirements are pretty basic: BGP, OSPF, dot1q VLANs, FEC.

The processes using the most CPU load are, in order of PID: Check heaps, Per-Second Jobs, IP Input and BGP Scanner. They are all mostly below 1% each.

We have some ACL's set up, but they are quite short and I think well optimized.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: NPE-G2 CPU load

Make sure ip tcp header-compression is disabled which will disable CEF and all the packets might be process switched which might cause high CPU load.

Hi,

It would be much easier for us to diagnose the probable cause of the hike, if you could paste the sh proc cpu output, indicating the process that is causing the hike.

Also, we have had an instance when SNMP v3 was causing high CPU Utilization, which we got solved when we changed to SNMP v2.

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Green

I think there's a bug report or field report on the authentication feaure of SNMP v3 causing the high CPU loads.

I believe it came out ~2-3 weeks ago, I don't recall specifically, but I'm pretty sure I've seen something on it.

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content