Views
Helpful
Replies

NSSA ABR issue

kaustav.gupta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I found this issue when configuring NSSA. In my scenario there are 2 NSSA ABR's and 1 ASBR redistributing RIP V2 routes 65.0.0.0/16 in the NSSA Area 1 with metric 10 and metric-type 1 ,subnets.

Configuring area 1 as NSSA in R1 , R2 and R3 I found that R1 route table shows that 65.0.0.0/16 as E1 but R2 shows 65.0.0.0/16 as N1 routes.I changed the router-id of R1 to 172.16.0.10 and cleared the ip ospf proc.Post adj build up I found that ip route table of R2 showed 65.0.0.0/16 routes as E1 and

R1 showed N1 and R1 was type 7 to type 5 translating.

Any help is welcome .

Regards

Kas

3 Replies 3

Kas,

That's the normal behavior.

The NSSA ABR with the highest router id will be the one translating Type 7 LSA to Type 5 LSA. That's consistent with what you were seeing.

Here's a link that you may find helpful.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a88.shtml

HTH

Sundar

Sundar,

In fact I had reffered to the same link while troubleshooting . I got confused when I reffered in the Cisco Press book Troubleshooting IP routing Protocols the reverse is written the " The Lowest RID in Multi NSSA ASBR/ABR scenario does the translation"

Anyways thanks a lot.I was preparing for the CCIE R&S hope you you can give me some guidelines for preparation.

Thanks in advance

Regs

kas

Kas,

If I were to pick one I would go with the Cisco document over a book. From what I have heard and seen books (some) tend to have errors in them more often than CCO documents.

Good Luck with your studying!!

Sundar

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card