Views
Helpful
Replies

Null Packets

amansoi_5
Level 1
Level 1

DEar All,

I am running show ip cache flow command on Router . I am attaching the output fo same ..

For DstIf , NULL is appearing with DstIP address as Broadcast Ip address of LAN.

Why is this happening? What could be the cause & remedy for same .?

regds,

aman

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Aman

You seem to think that this is a problem, but it is in fact a normal behavior. We can explain the cause and there is no need for any remedy.

I have included one line from your output as an example. What this shows is that some device at address 10.192.48.35 on interface FastEthernet0/1 send a broadcast packet which was received by the router. Since routers do not forward broadcasts the router will discard this packet which is indicated by the destination of null.

Fa0/1 10.192.48.35 Null 10.192.48.255 11 0089 0089 3

It might help if we recognize that the source port and destination port are given in hex. The hex value of 89 is a decimal value of 137. So we can see that the packets here were broadcast NetBIOS packets which the router does not forward.

So this is normal behavior and not a problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco