Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Number of OSPF Process

In 7600 series router with sup 720, how many instance of OSPF we can run, by default normal router will support 30 processes, is there any change in 7600

5 REPLIES

Re: Number of OSPF Process

Hi,

Why do you need so many OSPF processes?

Istvan

Community Member

VRF's would be one reason. I currently run 11 OSPF processes in a 7609 W/Sup 720's. Each VRF having it's own OSPF route table. They are small tables as they are used for backup configurations. When the primary interface dies, it starts routing over the backup interface. OSPF worked much more effectively by seeing the primary route go away and dynamically re-routing the data streams. Statics just were not doing the job.

I think the answer to the question is up until you fill the 256K routes and 64K MAC Address restrictions. I can't find anything that says concrete numbers on OSPF either.

Community Member

actually the limit was 32 ospf processes per router but unlimited software VRFs per PE feature lifted this limit.

Now you can do 32 ospf processes per VRF but can run another 32 for another VRF. you can do as many VRFs as you want.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t4/feature/guide/gtospfvf.html

Silver

prior it was contraint of 28 processes in case of vrf but now a days it is unlimited.

regards

shivlu

Community Member

in all of cisco routers you can configure 30 proccess id but in MPLS/VPN and VRF configuration you can configuring unlimited proccess id in the routers.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content