Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ODR with Hub-and-Spoke. Administrative distance variation at spoke

Hello,

Does anybody know if it is possible to apply administrative distance variation at spoke routers with ODR?

I have a classic hub-and-spoke DMVPN network with two hubs and two DMVPN clouds. At a spoke I can se the following in the routing table:

o* 0.0.0.0/0 [160/1] via 10.96.9.1, 00:00:32, Tunnel1

[160/1] via 10.96.8.1, 00:00:40, Tunnel0

This is absolutely right as two paths to different hubs have the same cost. What I want is to choose one of the defaults as primary to avoid per packet balancing. As it isn't possible to change the cost of these defaults I want to change the administrative distance of one of them. But how?

I have found the following information here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_white_paper09186a0080093fde.shtml

"To increase/decrease the ODR distance on the spokes so they can prefer one hub over the other, a suggestion has been made which is being tracked via CSCdr35460. The code has already been tested and will be available soon for customers."

Does anybody know where this "soon" is going to happen? I can't find the CSCdr35460 via Bug Toolkit. Either it is Cisco's confidential or simply doesn't exist. The document is dated August, 2005. I can find nothing more concerning this feature.

/Ivan

5 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: ODR with Hub-and-Spoke. Administrative distance variation at

In this document, they have suggested the following alternative. " The only way to prefer one default route over the other is to use a static default route on the spoke that has a path with a lower admin distance for which you want to prefer. This automatically overrides the default routes that are coming on the spokes via ODR".

Hello,

Just as a side note. IP CEF will per default do per session load sharing and not per packet load sharing.

Maybe you can live with your two default routes in place? What is the underlying problem? Why is the second default route disturbing you?

Regards, Martin

That's of course better if I get per-session balancing with CEF.

I have a prospect though that my hub routers will be separated geographically. Response times will be somewhat different through different hubs. I'm not sure right now to what extent they are going to differ, but it's seems more desirable to load balance per-site, not per-session and definitely not per-packet.

Anyway I'm considering an alternative with EIGRP and EIGRP-stub feature at spokes. It's seems to work as well and I have more control over routing updates.

Have you found anyway to make your one hub preferred over the other?

No I didn't. I chose EIGRP with stub spoke routers instead of ODR.

Views
Helpful
Replies