Views
Helpful
Replies

One router, two ISPs

BBD1835it
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I had a frustrating time with my 5505 trying to add a new ISP at the primary while retaining the original ISP as a redundant connection.  It really didn't seem too difficult, but it just didn't work.

I followed Document ID 70559, but as soon as I applied changes to enable the new primary ISP with a lower metric than the original backup, I lost connectivity.  Of course, I did confirm with the new ISP that they could ping the external interface and they were able to.

In short, I renamed the existing interface from Outside to Backup and created a new interface called Primary, adding the static external IP to that interface (the same IP that the ISP said they could ping).  I then added a static route for the Primary, with the new gateway (which the ISP could also ping).  Primary had a metric of 1.  I changed Backup to a metric of 10.  The only thing I didn't do to the Primary route was set the Tracked option as I wanted to first ensure that I was only working with the Primary interface.  Once the Primary works, I'll add Tracking which is the whole point of this process.  When I  clicked Apply, I lost internet connectivity from the workstation (by domain name or IP).  I set Backup to a metric of 1 and Primary to a metric of 10 and connectivity returned.  Quite a remedial question (another set of eyes is always helpful!), but I am correct in assuming that nothing needs to change on the workstation?  The workstation's gateway is the ASA's internal IP, the 5505 should handle it from there, right?

Let me know if something jumps out at you, or what configs you would like to see (and if you would like them in the current/operational mode or in the preferred/nonfunctional mode).  The latter would need to be provided off hours, of course.

Many thanks!

Tim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I think it is a NAT problem. You should clear your  translations and it should work with the primary metric 1 and backup metric 10.

So do clear xlate and  try again.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I think it is a NAT problem. You should clear your  translations and it should work with the primary metric 1 and backup metric 10.

So do clear xlate and  try again.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Many thanks Alain.  The clear xlate command didn't immeditately fix it but did point me to the NAT configuration which was the culprit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card