cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF and NAT

dennylester
Level 1
Level 1

We bought out another company and are connecting our networks. Unfortunately their numbering clashes with one of our own.

I am planning on setting up NAT on their router to NAT their addressing to something else but have a question regarding OSPF. I need OSPF to propagate the NATTED subnet and not their true subnet.

Is this possible?

Denny

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Absolutely possible. From the router that does NAT, the subnet can be originated as external - "redistribute static subnets".

Remember to rate useful posts!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

dennylester
Level 1
Level 1

Bump..

Is this possible?

If not, any recommendations? We use OSPF to maintain floating static routes for DDR backups.

Renumbering one of the subnets is not an option at the moment.

Denny

Absolutely possible. From the router that does NAT, the subnet can be originated as external - "redistribute static subnets".

Remember to rate useful posts!

That is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you,

Denny

Okay, I guess I need more help.

How do I redistribute a static subnet or inject a subnet into OSPF to be propagated?

I've used the redistribute static command before, but I actually had a route in my routing table.

On the NAT router, this subnet solely exists in a NAT translation.

Thanks,

Denny

You can configure a static route to point to the null0 interface like this one;

ip route <172.16.1.0 255.255.255.0> null0

This would cause the route to be put into the routing table as a static route. Substitute the IP with your NAT IP.

HTH

Sundar

Thank you so much. That worked like a charm.

Denny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: