Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

OSPF and neighbors

I have a scenario were a wireless high site has multiple wireless links back to the core network. One of the links is a 30mbps+ stable link, the other is a 7mbps link with limited capacity available.

OSPF is causing routing across the link (the 7mbps)with fewer hops. I need to force OSPF to update and only route that direction if the 30mbps+ link is down.

There is only 1 OSPF area within our network. Most of the equipment at these high sites is either 2621 or 3750. The links to the other sites and back to core is via VLAN interfaces. I think this is causing me the headaches. I have tried to set ospf cost on both the actual interface and the vlan.

This is my 2nd week at the company, so I may be missing a huge piece somewhere.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

David

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: OSPF and neighbors

Could you advise the problem and the difficulty you are facing ?

Please provide configuration of the routers for reference. And advise what exactly you want to achieve then we may help.

Wait for your update.

Re: OSPF and neighbors

Hello David,

in addition to Jack's post, if you want to prefer the lower bandwidth link over the 30MB link, and if both links exist only within the same area, that is, all routes are intra-area (O) routes, cost should actually work. Just be aware that cost is cumulative, so you have to change it on every connecting interface. Let's say your 7MB link has the following path:

Router A --> Router B --> Router C --> Router D --> Router E

make sure that you change the cost on the links connecting each of these routers...

Regards,

GNT

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content