Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

OSPF and NSSA - Default Route query

Hi All,

I have some VTI tunnels to remote sites and have all the sites in their own OSPF area. Similar to attached diagram. Now these remote sites have their own Internet breakout, and will have a default route pointing out to the ISP Gateway.

The remote sites do not need to have their routing table full off routes. Ideally to get to the rest of the Network, they should have one exit point - out the VPN tunnel Interface. What am I best configuring these remote sites as, and how will the STUB area types affect my already in place static default route.

What i thought I could do was for each area - on the ABR use the following command -   area 1 nssa no-redistribution no-summary which would give the routing table this entry  - O*IA 0.0.0.0/0 .

This would mean though I have two default routes (my one to the ISP and the other due to the NSSA commands above

In my situation, what is best practice If I already have default route to ISP at remote site, but do not want routing table full of Inter Area routes?

Thanks

2 REPLIES

Hi GRANT3779, In your

Hi GRANT3779,

In your situation, you want to keep your default-route to local ISP at remote areas, and learn summary routes from OSPF neighbor area 0, while remote areas will remain as stub.  This way your routing table stay small as it can be at stub areas.

router ospf 1
 area 3 range 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255
 area 2 range 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255
 area 1 range 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255

Hope this answers your question.

thanks

Rizwan Rafeek.

Hey Guys,Just an addition to

Views
Helpful
Replies