Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

OSPF behavior

Hi

I have a little doubt. Does OSPF still propagates even if the interface that has the network is down?

I'm doing a migration from one 7500 to another and a few point to point links will be changed. The configuration is the same less the IP tu manage the Router.

I`m not sure if it would be right to turn on the new 7500 with all the OSPF config already made. The interfaces are administrativily down, and i think it will not harm anything, but not sure though...

Thanks

6 REPLIES
Purple

Re: OSPF behavior

The short answer is: no... By default, OSPF will only propagate routes (or I should say the networks) for interfaces that it is enabled on and that are administratively and operationally up (i.e. the interfaces have to be in a up/up state).

So you should be okay to do what you are suggesting...

Hope that helps - pls do rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Thanks, that was very helpful

Hi

Having a final look to my configuration in the 7500, I found that although all the interfaces are down and OSPF will not be a problem activating the router, there's a Loopback interface which is the ID and identifies the router in the OSPF environment.

The network command only announces the interface like the following; "network 192.168.x.x 0.0.0.0 area 0"

The ID will be certainly propagated and therefore a change will occur in OSPF, so maybe a should turn on the router by night in a window hour.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Purple

Does the "network 192.168.x.x 0.0.0.0 area 0" cover the loopback interface ? If it does not, OSPF will NOT advertise it as a route even if it uses it as the rotuer ID. You can always force OSPF to use a specific address as the router ID by using the "router-id" command under the "router ospf" configuration.

In any case, it is always sensible to make such changes during an outage window.

Hope that helps - pls do rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Yes, it does. We propagate the 192.168.0.0/24 for this specific use. Anyway, I already prepared the migration for one of these nights. Don't want anything strange happening, plus being me doing the job :)

Thanks Paresh

dont forget if you want to advertise a /24 loopback, you need ospf network point-to-point otherwise, by default its a /32 advertisement for the loopback, regardless of assigned mask.

Joe

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content