Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

OSPF- BGP Influencing routes over 2 carriers

Headquarters will have 2 routers and links (one from each carrier). CE to PE will be running BGP, while internally they will be running iBGP (OSPF) between L3 switch and CE. Remote sites will be configured similar. We want to send non-critical traffic over one carrier, while critical traffic over the other carrier. We want return traffic over the same source link while maintaining redundancy.

What is the best way to influence the routes so they select a particular path for both egress and ingress?

6 REPLIES

Re: OSPF- BGP Influencing routes over 2 carriers

deterministic advertisement of summary routes per egress path (now in english)

Use ospf summary routes to give the carrier running non-critical traffic a less specific route prefix of your internal networks. the more specific routes will be perferred over the "other carrier" for the critical traffic.

I.E. send 172.16.0.0/12 over the "non-critical carrier" and 172.16.1.0/24 over the "critical carrier".

You can do this all in using

area x range command on the ABR's.

Joe

thank you joe. what would you suggest for non-company routes (internet) over the non-critical traffic carrier? The challenge is the return internet traffic from remote, want to insure it routes back through non-critical carrier to remote. FYI: all internet traffic routes through HQ.

Hello Daniel,

To influence ingress traffic the best would be seting MED or preepending AS on the routes sent to the CEs.

To influence egress traffic you can use local-preference or Weight(this is only used inside 1 router, not transmitted between routers).

Give us more details on your configs and we'll be glad to help.

Anyway check:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/tk80/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html

for many examples and setups.

HTH a bit,

vlad

Hi Daniel, to influence return traffic, you may want to perform MED, AS path prepend or weight when you advertise your prefixes to your 2 different providers.

Hope this will be useful.

cheers,

YK

I have attached a simple schematic of the network. In this example I am looking at the same host accessing "critical and non-critical traffic" simultaneously. The destination AS and prefix would be the same at the remote end. I know that CEF by default enables destination based sessions, which should have the return traffc follow the same path as the initiated session but I dont know that it can be guaranteed. Hope this clarifies my question.

Hi Daniel,

For returned traffic:

- create a tunnel interface btw HQWAN1 and InternetRtr;

- Configure static routes for Host's networks on InternetRtr, with the next-hop of the tunnel interface;

ip route Net-of-Host tunnel x

- Configure lower ospf metric on HQSWAN2 than on HQSWAN1, when redistributing BGP to OSPF.

- you may add tunnel interfaces to OSPF and make them as a passive-interface.

Hote it helps.

Regards,

HGL

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content