cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Convergence Problem.

danieltoro
Level 1
Level 1

I have two routers, a Cisco 1760 Router with Advanced Security features and 12.4 IOS version, and one Vyatta Router VC.5.0.2. They are ethernet connected and they have full convergence. For IOS version Issues, I had that changes the Cisco Router 1760 for one same with IOS Voice features version 12.2-15 with the same configuration but the OSPF process do not has convergence. Anybody know a bug or issue about this?

8 Replies 8

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Daniel,

have you tried to use

terminal monitor

debug ip ospf adj

to see why the OSPF adjacency is not built?

if you like you can post in a txt attachment file in this thread the debug output.

for example, you may be facing an MTU mismatch issue.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe.

I have verified mtu issue and they are equal at interfaces of two routers (cisco 1760 and vyatta). Annexed it is file with debug ip ospf adj.

The ospf process stuck in INIT state.

A1760>sh ip ospf neig

Neighbor ID Pri State Dead Time Address Interface

N/A 1 ATTEMPT/DROTHER - 192.168.254.221 Serial0/0

192.168.3.161 10 INIT/DROTHER 00:00:33 192.168.3.161 FastEthernet0/0

A1760>

Hello Daniel,

you are really facing some type of interoperability issue.

I would try to use area-id 0.0.0.0 also on Cisco side but it is just an attempt.

cisco router sees one neighbor and the vyatta sees 0 neighbors as a result of this both have 0 adjacencies.

Actually, vyatta should be the DR in segment for its higher priority.

Another possible try is to increase OSPF priority to 50 on cisco side.

Another thought: this could be an authentication issue check this aspect too.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I was experimenting with different operating systems and found that with a version 12.4 The OSPF process converge satisfactorily but I now have the detail that the process is restarted every 40 seconds with the resulting exchange of information between the routers.

The key message when restart the process is this: "OSPF: Cannot see ourself in hello from 192.168.3.161". With wireshark, I was filtering out packages of my vyatta router and I see that his packets sent the list of neighbors.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced.

Daniel.

are you using subinterface? did you try on main interface?

Hello oliv98.

I resolved the problem, it was compatibility issue of onboard NIC of my PC. I tried with another motherboard and the results were satisfactory with the same configuration.

Greetings,

Daniel.

hello Daniel,

the list of neighbors should be a list of OSPF router-ids compare cisco router OSPF router-id as per

sh ip ospf

with wireshark capture contents

if they match the problem is on the Cisco side.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe and very thank you for your help.

I resolved the problem, it was compatibility issue of onboard NIC of my PC. I tried with another motherboard and the results were satisfactory with the same configuration.

Greetings,

Daniel.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card