Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Default route not updating

naeschlimann
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm not familiar with OSPF. I used to be but it is not the case anymore.

I have the following scenario : 

- 2 remotes sites (HQ and BO)

- 1 Internet connection on each site

- 1 MPLS connection to inter-connect both sites

My problem is : 

I want users from Branch office to use the ISP connection of HQ. And when ISP A is offline, I want OSPF to change his default route to Branch office ISP.

I announce the default route from my Firewalls (Forcepoint). I can see in both router that ISP A is preferred over ISP B. No issues with that.

But when I unplug the WAN interface from my Firewall at HQ (Which connect to ISP A router), the default route in MPLS Router 1 is still pointing to the firewall at HQ.

I don't know how to resolve this issue. Maybe I don't understand how OSPF is working or if I didn't configure OSPF the right way.

Anyway, any help would be great. I attached a simple design to help you understand my problem.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Hi

In this scenario you could use IP SLA, Track object and EEM scripts to remove the current default route and create one with different next hop address automatically. 

OSPF default route conditional will not work in this situation. So I think the SLA will work for you. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hello Julio,

Yes I just tested this solution and it's working.

But there is no way to make it work using OSPF ? 

Thanks

Hi

As I remember there is no way if you are receiving a default route from the HQ, other way is receive the default route via OSPF from the HQ and create a local static default route with higher administrative distance than 110 at the branch. 

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 2.2.2.2 111 name BACKUP

It will be preferred if the default route learned by OSPF is not available into the routing table. 

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: