Helpful
Replies

OSPF doubt

enriquebs
Level 1
Level 1

HI all,

I wonder how to change the standar OSPF behaviour, here is the situation:

R1, R2 and R3 (imagine a triangle topology with three direct fiber links between them) All the links have been configured with the same cost (1).

If we have a host attached to R1 and wants to get another host based in R2 will go directly (HostA - R1 - R2 - HostB).

Now imagine that link between R1 and R2 goes down, then HostA will get HostB through R3.

The problem arises when the link between R1 and R2 flaps, I'd like to configure OSPF in the way that won't form the adjacency until link stop flapping.

Anyone know how to proceed?

thx a lot in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Enrique,

There sure is a way to dampen a flapping interface from causing routing issues. IP Event Dampening will suppress a flapping interface. It supports all IGPs.

Check out this link for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/search/sr.pl?q=ip%20dampening%20ospf&res=1&uid=&country=US&language=en&siteToSearch=cisco.com&filter=p&c_u=/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080457c1d.html#wp1027265

HTH

Sundar

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

hoogen_82
Level 4
Level 4

Increase your hello timer and dead timer to a greater value. By default it would be 10 and 40 for point to point links. Make sure its done on both routers.

HTH

Hoogen

Do rate if this soln helps :)

Yes, that's the option we thought, but the idea should be something like the protocol realized about the interface is flapping, then penalize the route and wait until it stops flapping... kind of "route dampening" in BGP

thx

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

Pls dont expect features of BGP in OSPF.

I think changing timers could be the way.

Enrique,

There sure is a way to dampen a flapping interface from causing routing issues. IP Event Dampening will suppress a flapping interface. It supports all IGPs.

Check out this link for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/search/sr.pl?q=ip%20dampening%20ospf&res=1&uid=&country=US&language=en&siteToSearch=cisco.com&filter=p&c_u=/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080457c1d.html#wp1027265

HTH

Sundar

Hey!

That's what I was looking for.

thx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card