Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Enquiry on paths selection

smart5
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chaps,

A question, i have Router A connects to Router B with 2 links, 1Gbps and 100Mbps WAN circuit. Both are running OSPF. Base on cost calculation, traffic vice-versa will traverse through 1Gb link and when it fails, it goes to 100Mbps link.

Will the traffic goes back to 1Gb link when the WAN circuit recover? I have an impression that OSPF will select a path with longer uptime with more stability.. (correct me if im wrong)

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

When your 1GB WAN circuit recovers, type 1 LSA will be generated which will trigger a full SPF calculation. This will result in installing the best path into routing tale which obviously will be your 1 GB link.

HTH,

Nagendra

If the Gb links flap. The spf calculation will keep occuring. How to improve on that?

Best Regards,

Charles

Hi,

To avoid such a scenario and to make SPF calculation to be stablee we can use SPF Throttaling concept.

timers throttle spf spf-start spf-hold spf-max-wait

spf-start  : Initial delay to schedule an SFP calculation after a change, in milliseconds. Range is from 1 to 600000.

spf-hold  :  Minimum hold time between two consecutive SPF calculations, in milliseconds. Range is from 1 to 600000.

spf-max-wait  : Maximum wait time between two consecutive SPF calculations, in milliseconds. Range is 1 to 600000.

Throttle Timers Example

This example shows a router configured with the start, hold, and maximum interval values for the timers throttle spf command set at 5, 1,000, and 90,000 milliseconds, respectively.

router ospf 1
 router-id 10.10.10.2
 log-adjacency-changes
 timers throttle spf 5 1000 90000 
 redistribute static subnets
 network 21.21.21.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
 network 22.22.22.0 0.0.0.255 area 00

for more info just go through the below URL
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute_ospf/configuration/guide/iro_short_path_ps6441_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

Regards
Karuppu

Thanks. I realize my company best practice is 50/100/5000

Best Regards,

Charles Koh 

Hi,

Thats great.If you find the post is helpful for you,then just give rating to it.

Regards

Karuppu

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Charles,

>> I have an impression that OSPF will select a path with longer uptime  with more stability.. (correct me if im wrong)

only eBGP prefers oldest path in case of a tie

this is wrong, as explained by colleagues 1GB link recover will trigger a new SPF calculation

link instability and flapping are a different question that you can deal with different tools SPF throttling, BFD and so on.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card