Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF (enterprise) over MPLS VPN(ISP)

captsivakumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

1) How can I check if the OSPF design of my network is as per standards?

2) Our network has a hub and spoke topology,

The Primary DC is connected over 2Mbpsx4=8Mbps link to the MPLS-VPN cloud

The Primay DC is also connected with a 45 Mbps link to the DR-DC

Routing protocol used is OSPF,

Area0(DC, DC-DR, HubA to HubI, HQ and BO)

Area1(all remote branches connected directly to the MPLS-VPN)

Area2-Area10(remote branches connected to the Hub locations via P2P links)

The Hub locations (HubA-HubI)are connected to the Primary DC via 256Kbps/512Kbps links to the MPLS VPN Cloud.

There are some remote branches connected to the Hubs via point to point 128Kbps leased lines Area A to Area I(as per the Hub location), the rest of the remote branches are connected directly to the MPLS-VPN cloud on 128Kbps links. Area 1.

3) The OSPF network type used on the MPLS-VPN is point to point, How do we decide on the network type that needs to be used?

4) What should I do to baseline the network and make necessary changes where possible.

4) Applications used

Multicast, Http, Client-Server, Email, Antivirus

Regards,

K K M

1 Reply 1

Tony.henry
Level 1
Level 1

K K M,

I'm afraid to say I'm not really sure if there is a "standards committee" that gives the all ok on peoples OSPF design.

That said there is industry practice, on what people usually do in certain situations.

Take your branch network.

I would argue that unless the branch networks formed part of the redundancy of the network there is little need to run OSPF on the branch routers. They would be better served by simple static routing, and redistribution from your hub routers.

Link speed and the remainder are combination of what your users want and what the company is willing to pay for.

HTH

Tony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: