Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

OSPF LSA

Hi

I want to know , what is difference between type LSA 4 and LSA 5. I know both are related to ASBR. I want to know practically scenario , when LSA4 and LSA 5 is generted.

thanks in advance

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: OSPF LSA

Found in Cisco.

LSA 1

Router Link advertisements. Generated by each router for each area it belongs to. They describe the states of the router's link to the area. These are only flooded within a particular area.

LSA 2

Network Link advertisements. Generated by Designated Routers. They describe the set of routers attached to a particular network. Flooded in the area that contains the network.

LSA 3 or 4

Summary Link advertisements. Generated by Area Border routers. They describe inter-area (between areas) routes. Type 3 describes routes to networks, also used for aggregating routes. Type 4 describes routes to ASBR.

LSA 5

AS external link advertisements. Originated by ASBR. They describe routes to destinations external to the AS. Flooded all over except stub areas.

More info. from design guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_white_paper09186a0080094e9e.shtml

Hope this helps.

Re: OSPF LSA

ASBR Summary LSAs are also originated by ABRs.Summary LSA will always be a host address because it is a route to a router

then ,Autonomous System External LSAs, or External LSAs, are originated by ASBRs.They advertise either a destination external to the OSPF autonomous system, or a default route external to the OSPF autonomous system .

you can observe the command show ip os database .the AS External LSAs are the only LSA types in the database that are not associated with a particular area; external LSAs are flooded throughout the autonomous system.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content