cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF mismatched authentication type

richmorrow624
Level 1
Level 1

I have an MPLS network that has 9 different sites running OSPF.

I just added a 10th router and am getting the following from debug:

"Mismatch Authentication type. Input packet specified type 2, we use type 0"

These are 1841 routers and I do not see any authentication from any of the configs. Could this be a provider issue?

The error is coming from the provider interface to the serial multilink of my router.

4 Replies 4

atif.awan
Level 3
Level 3

I am assuming that you have a L3 VPN service from your provider. If that is the case then yes your neighbor relationship is with the provider PE at each site and this error is probably because of the provider side misconfigured to perform authentication.

Your provider must have configured MD5 authentication for this link. The error message decodes as follows

"Mismatch Authentication type. Input packet specified type 2, we use type 0"

Mismatch Authentication type : The authentication at both ends is not the same. It needs to be the same.

Input packet specified type 2 : The provider is using type 2. This is equivalent to MD5 authentication.

we use type 0 : You are using type 0, which is equivalent to no authentication.

Ask your provider to remove the authentication, or you configure authentication at your end with the right password.

Thanks guys,

I have not worked with OSPF very much, but I am seeing what you are saying.

I found the authentication types with 2 being MD5 as Olorunloba said.

I believe the provider has either misconigured his router (because none of the other routers are configured with authentication), or has decided to use authentication with this location.

Unless,

I did not consult with the provider before using Area 8 (the next logical area number), is it possible he could have used a differnet area?

I guess the error would have been "mismatch area ID" if that were the case.

Thanks for helping out.

Richard

You are very right about the mismatch area ID.

You could also configure MD5 authentication at your end, and expect the message to now be mismatched password. In any case, you will need to consult your provider to know what to configure.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card