cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Neibourship formation on secondary IP

rohit.kulkarni
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends, Just stuck with query in discussion. Please let me know if any one can sort me out.

I have two routers connected on serial link with /24 subnet mask, I have configured primary ip on WAN as 192.168.1.1/24 on R1 and  .2 /24 on R2

While at the same time i do assign .3/24 as secondary ip on same interface on R1 and .4/24 on R2.

Now i advertise this subnet in OSPF, so now my query is OSPF will form neigbourship with primary IP or with secondary ip or with Both

R1       ===>  R2

192.168.1.1/24  ==> 192.168.1.2 /24

192.168.1.3/24  ==>  192.168.1.4 /24

2 Replies 2

David Aicher
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It will not form a relationship with the secondary address.  It is not possible to configure it to do so.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US//tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094050.shtml

That said I am unsure of the reason you need two addresses in the same subnet on the same interface.   Maybe you could explain the reason for doing this?

Regards

Dave Aicher

Hi,

In addition to david...you can announce secondary ip in ospf but adjancency will not form. In your case both primary/secondary is having

same subnet (strange, i have seed for the first time) so nothing different. But if you have different subnet you will be able to announce via ospf

regards

mahesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card