cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF neighbors with L3 links

glenn.newman
Level 1
Level 1

The latest HA Campus Design shows putting a higher priority on the interface of the distribution so it will become DR instead of the access switch. Is there a reason not to do a "ip ospf non-broadcast" on the routed interface and put the neighbor in with a "neighbor x.x.x.x" statement under the "router ospf x" section? Should the far end IP of the link or can the loopback IP be used?

2 Replies 2

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Glenn,

I am not shure what design guide you are referring to but, in case of a broadcast multi-access network you can change the priority on the access switch to prevent it from joining DR/BDR elections. You can change the priority on the distribution/core switch to a higer priority for preffered DR and BDR candidate.

!Access Switch

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1

no switchport

ip address 172.16.201.1

ip ospf priority 0

!

HTH

--Leon

* Please rate posts.

kamlesh.sharma
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I will suggest you to put ip ospf network point-to-point if you are using neighbor command in broadcast network in this scenerio there won't be any DR/BDR and hello's for all neighbor will also be unicast not broadcass.

Regarding the neighbor ip to be use i think you should use interface ip addresses bcos if any how loopbacks are not reachable than there could be problem with ospf working.

HTH please rate if it helps.

Kamlesh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card