cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF not advertising a "secondary" network on an interface?

damianbell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Bit of an odd one. I've got a /30 network I've configured over a transit tail circuit between our L3 switch and a network providers equipment, which requires media conversion from 1G fibre to 10MB copper. As part of this I've also configured another /30 over this interface as a secondary network to manage the media converter.

Basically, the problem is that when I try and advertise the secondary network (the media converter /30) into OSPF, it's not being propagated - I understand that OSPF will only form adjacencies with the primary IP's on an interface, but I'm not looking to do this - I just want to advertise a "secondary" network assigned to the interface - possible?

Config:-

!

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/25

description LARGE_GLOBAL_CARRIER_CIRCUIT_NAME_HERE

no switchport

ip address 172.21.67.18 255.255.255.252 secondary

ip address PUBLIC_IP 255.255.255.252

load-interval 30

end

!

!

router ospf 1

router-id 172.21.67.1

log-adjacency-changes

passive-interface default

no passive-interface Vlan200

network xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 0.0.0.255 area 0

network 172.21.67.16 0.0.0.3 area 0

!

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance,

Damian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi John,

To get around this, you could create a loopback with this secondary  interface address on it and change the network type to point-to-point to  keep it from advertising a stub network.

I am afraid this will cause the device to complain about IP address overlap - two different interfaces having overlapping subnets, even if one of these subnets is a secondary network.

The only way I see currently to do this is to perform redistribute connected subnets, presumably with a route-map to allow only selected networks to be redistributed. This will cause the networks to be learned as external, though.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Damian,

At first glance, I'm going to assume that it's because of the passive-interface default command in the ospf process. Try adding "no passive-interface g0/25" and see if that helps.

HTH,

John

*** Please rate useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi John,

Thanks for the pointer, however I'm not looking to try and form an OSPF adjacency over that interface - I'm just trying to advertise the /30 network located on it. As seen in the config, I only use VLAN 200 to form my OSPF adjacency with a neighbor router...

Maybe code revision? I'm running 12.2(46)SE, platform is 3650E.

I wouldn't think there should be a problem with advertising a secondary interface?

Damian

Damian,

I understand now...OSPF will only advertise a secondary address when you are advertising the primary address as well into the same area. For example, I don't know about your public address above, but let's assume that you're not advertising that interface into ospf. If that's the case, you won't be able to advertise the secondary on that interface either. It also has to be in the same area that you're advertising your primary interface in as well. To get around this, you could create a loopback with this secondary interface address on it and change the network type to point-to-point to keep it from advertising a stub network.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi John,

To get around this, you could create a loopback with this secondary  interface address on it and change the network type to point-to-point to  keep it from advertising a stub network.

I am afraid this will cause the device to complain about IP address overlap - two different interfaces having overlapping subnets, even if one of these subnets is a secondary network.

The only way I see currently to do this is to perform redistribute connected subnets, presumably with a route-map to allow only selected networks to be redistributed. This will cause the networks to be learned as external, though.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi John,

Best regards,

Peter

Many thanks for the confirmation Peter - this was the conclusion I drew as well, unfortunately. A rather convoluted way of doing this (I don't particularly want to advertise the primary /30 on the interface as it's actually a BGP transit link) so this will be the approach I take. Many thanks for yours (and of course John Blakleys') help.

Appreciated!

Damian

effectively , try removing "passive interface default " will resolve the problem

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card