Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF NSSA area

Sam Preston
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have got an OSPF network (see attached diagram) in which I have a totally NSSA area.

Routers C and D (in the totally NSSA area) have got a connected route (the LAN to which Server S is connected) which they import to OSPF into type 7 LSAs. This is the normal behavior for totally NSSA areas.

Routers A and B are ABRs. They have interfaces in area 0 and in the totally NSSA area.

I configure this command on Router A and Router B :

summary address X.X.X.X X.X.X.X no-advertise

This command is used to prevent the regeneration of the type 7 LSAs coming from the NSSA area to type 5 LSAs in the backbone area.

My question is :

Suppose the link between Router A and Router C fails.

Suppose an IP packet comes from the backbone and wants to reach Server S. If the packet arrives to Router A (not routed via OSPF to Router A but via BGP, so the question is not how the packet reaches Router A), how will it reach Router B then Router D then the Server S ?

In short, the question is : if the link between Router A and Router C fails, how will Router A know the route towards Server S since the type 7 LSA for the connected route of the server is not regenerated into a type 5 LSA in area 0, and thus Router A does not learn that route from Router B...

Thanks a lot for your help !

Sam.

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In short, the question is : if the link between Router A and Router C fails, how will Router A know the route towards Server S since the type 7 LSA for the connected route of the server is not regenerated into a type 5 LSA in area 0, and thus Router A does not learn that route from Router B...

It won't since the summary address command will prevent that.

Router A won't be able to reach Server S via Router B under this scenario.

You need to remove the summary address command so the LSA could be seen as Type 5 on Router A.

Thanks Edison for your answer.

So how should I proceed with such a design ? I think I can proceed like this :

- Make the NSSA area a normal area (let's say area 1)

- Setup a second back-to-back link between Router A and Router B and configure it into area 1 (keep the other link in area 0).

- Configure 2 different OSPF processes on both Router A and Router B so that the routes their learn from area 1 are not propagated into area 0.

- Configure a "default-information originate always" onto Router A and Router B to give a default route to area 1.

With such a design :

- If the link between Router A and Router C fails, Router A is still able to route towards Server S via Router B.

- The routes from area 1 are not exported to area 0

Do you think it is the good way to proceed please ?

Thanks.

Sam

Port density an issue?

How about connecting C and D to A and B on a triangle design?

If C loses connection to A, A will receive the NSSA route from D.

Yes, triangle design is not an option since I haven't got enough 10-Gbps ports for this. Anyway it would not be so different from adding a second back-to-back link between RouterA and RouterB in area 1. This is just about adding one more link in area 1 to secure the path because basically area 0 can't help for propagating the route. So let keep the links that I already have and just add a subinterface (VLAN) between RouterA and RouterB. What we just need is another IP link, not a physical link since we already have a fully redundant architecture at the physical level.

By the way I read in the documentation from another vendor that they have multi-area interfaces capability. In other words, an interface can belong to several areas at the same time. The goal is to avoid transiting through low-bandwidth links and to prefer high-bandwidth inter-area links rather than low-bandwidth intra-area links.

Do we have such configuration available here or not (in which case I will add a second back-to-back link) ?

If we don't have, maybe we could ask a dev for this, don't you think ?

Thanks.

Sam

With the subinterface approach between Router A and B, you could make one subinterface be part of NSSA area and the other subinterface be part of Area 0.

Router A will receive the intra-area NSSA route during link failure from Router B.

What's your plan for reachability from the backbone area toward server S?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card