cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ospf process ID

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

hi ihave read in that book that in order to have a neibour relationship the process id and the area shd be same......i ahve connected 3 routers in my lab and i have given 2 routers the same process id and one with the different process id......but still routing is happeneing.....why is that.....thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

attrgautam
Level 5
Level 5

There is no significance for the OSPF process ID. It is locally significant, if you have the same IPs, the OSPF neighbor relationship will come up. The process ID (or AS no) is significant in case of EIGRP

Quoting Cisco

"The process ID is the ID of the OSPF process to which the interface belongs. The process ID is local to the router, and two OSPF neighboring routers can have different OSPF process IDs. (This is not true of Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol [EIGRP], in which the routers need to be in the same autonomous system). Cisco IOS® Software can run multiple OSPF processes on the same router, and the process ID merely distinguishes one process from the another. The process ID should be a positive integer. "

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

hi,

processid in ospf having no more significant to the adjecent router. two ospf router can have different processid. and single router can have multiple process id runing on at a time. In some cases you can redistribut one processid in to the other.

regards

Devang

charli3209
Level 1
Level 1

I believe that the process id is locally significant so they can be any number or the same if you like. The area's have to be the same in order for routing to take place.

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

HI

The process ID is locally significant.

In addtiton to all posts in order to form successful neigbor relationships among the routers in an area they should have identical helo/dead intervals,area id,authentication if configured and stub area flag.

Thanks

Mahmood

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card