Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ospf process usage high

Hi friends,

My wan routers are showing high cpu utilization and when i checked the show processes cpu, the ospf process is consuming 33% of cpu utilization.What could be the problem

Regards

Ravi

7 REPLIES

Re: ospf process usage high

Hi,

Is that you have made any changes to the OSPF timers or its all default . Is there any link flapping in your Wan network , which might also spike ur CPU usage on OSPF process.

Hope this helps.

regards

vanesh k

Hi Ravi,

can you paste output of "show process cpu" which shows high CPU utilization and "show version" ?

Cisco Employee

"show ip ospf stat" would probably give you a good hint on what is going on.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr. Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México 
Paseo de la Reforma 222 Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi,

I hav attached the the show process cpu and show version and show ip ospf stat output.

Thanks

Ravi

Hi

For a 2600 router with around 3000 routes , CPU utilisation is normal and may anytime increase to 90 . Pls upgrade your router.

regards

vanesh k

Hi Vanesh,

Thanks for information, ideally how many routes can with stand a 2600 router, can i have a link which gives me the details to which series of routers can go well with around 3000 routes.

Thanks

Ravi

Hi Ravi,

The number of routes a router handle depends on the memory and its CPU capacity . It would be working fine , but due to some flap and multiple LSA exchanges would make CPU spike .

I dont have a link that explains abt the number of routes each router can handle . If you have a good traffic and if thinking of expansion , you can go for a 2800 or 3800 router and also try to do some summarisation of your external routes.

Hope this helps.

regards

vanesh k

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content