Views
Helpful
Replies

ospf process usage high

ravisambaji
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friends,

My wan routers are showing high cpu utilization and when i checked the show processes cpu, the ospf process is consuming 33% of cpu utilization.What could be the problem

Regards

Ravi

7 Replies 7

network.king
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Is that you have made any changes to the OSPF timers or its all default . Is there any link flapping in your Wan network , which might also spike ur CPU usage on OSPF process.

Hope this helps.

regards

vanesh k

Hi Ravi,

can you paste output of "show process cpu" which shows high CPU utilization and "show version" ?

"show ip ospf stat" would probably give you a good hint on what is going on.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi,

I hav attached the the show process cpu and show version and show ip ospf stat output.

Thanks

Ravi

Hi

For a 2600 router with around 3000 routes , CPU utilisation is normal and may anytime increase to 90 . Pls upgrade your router.

regards

vanesh k

Hi Vanesh,

Thanks for information, ideally how many routes can with stand a 2600 router, can i have a link which gives me the details to which series of routers can go well with around 3000 routes.

Thanks

Ravi

Hi Ravi,

The number of routes a router handle depends on the memory and its CPU capacity . It would be working fine , but due to some flap and multiple LSA exchanges would make CPU spike .

I dont have a link that explains abt the number of routes each router can handle . If you have a good traffic and if thinking of expansion , you can go for a 2800 or 3800 router and also try to do some summarisation of your external routes.

Hope this helps.

regards

vanesh k

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: