cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Route Selection

deep.blue
Level 1
Level 1

Hi- I have situation where I will be running OSPF and will be recieving routes on one interface redistributed from BGP so these will be OSPF External Type 2 routes - on another interface I will be recieving routes in OSPF so these will be "intra area".

My question is how I do have the external E2 routes installed in preference to the intra area ones ? Ie the external routes are to be preferred while the intra area ones are back up.

21 Replies 21

No! That's precisely the point! I could not change the OSPF route arbitration by using AD. My original posting was wrong.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin

I am glad that you worked it out in the lab. That is frequently the best way to find what is really happening. The idea that you suggested is quite logical and appealing. But it is not the way that OSPF works.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

so what is the final process to get it done i am still in confusion?

regards

Devang

Devang

There is not a process that will get an OSPF external route preferred over an internal route. The closest that you could get would be to redistribute the internal routes. Then by controlling which are E1 routes and which are E2 routes you could control which route is preferred.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

thanks for clerification!!!

regards

Devang

Hi all,

Thanks for all your work in clarifying this for me. It is as I expected but sometimes the information is a little cryptic. I will now have in investigate another solution.

Thanks,

Pete

hello

to answer your initial question, you should investigate these 2 ideas :

-having 2 OSPF processes (this time playing with AD ;) )

-if you're using MPLS/VPN and you're using OSPF as PE/CE protocol, you should consider the use of sham-links

bye,

Etienne

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card