Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF: Router process 1 is not running

suntecsbs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have created an OSPF ring between three routers for redundancy. Yesterday we had one of our link failed and found that the traffic didn't take next available path instead the site was disconnected. When checked on the routers I found that the hub router is showing this error when I do 'sh ip ospf' -

%OSPF: Router process 1 is not running, please configure a router-id

Based on what it says I configured router-id ut it didn't help. Configuration is attached.

Rest of the two routers are OK. Is this the reason traffic wasn't routed? I implemented OSPF last week and tests confirmed OSPF operation.

I searched and did few suggested things like clearing OSPF but it didn't work. Do I have to restart the router?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Vikram

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When you configure a router-id under the process, you have to restart the process in order for it to take effect. I'm not sure that's what's going on here though. In the configuration you posted, I see the error that you reference, but I also see that you have neighbors. I'm assuming that those neighbors are for process 100. What I'm curious about is why it's stating that you don't have a router-id when you clearly have an IP address on the box. The only thing that I can think of is that you created the process 1 before you had any IP addresses configured on the box, and then later decided to configure IP addresses and used ospf 100 instead.

You can verify this by doing "show ip protocols | i ospf" or  "show run | s router ospf". If you do the second command, you'll get back the configuration. If you don't have any interfaces/networks listed under here, then that's what the problem is and you can safely remove the process altogether.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When you configure a router-id under the process, you have to restart the process in order for it to take effect. I'm not sure that's what's going on here though. In the configuration you posted, I see the error that you reference, but I also see that you have neighbors. I'm assuming that those neighbors are for process 100. What I'm curious about is why it's stating that you don't have a router-id when you clearly have an IP address on the box. The only thing that I can think of is that you created the process 1 before you had any IP addresses configured on the box, and then later decided to configure IP addresses and used ospf 100 instead.

You can verify this by doing "show ip protocols | i ospf" or  "show run | s router ospf". If you do the second command, you'll get back the configuration. If you don't have any interfaces/networks listed under here, then that's what the problem is and you can safely remove the process altogether.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Thanks John! You detected it correctly. I think the process 1 was created before I had any IP addresses configured. I changed it from 'router ospf 100' to 'router ospf 1' and the message " %OSPF: Router process 1 is not running, please configure a router-id" has gone.

Appreciated.

Vikram

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card