cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF State Confusion

lowfell
Level 3
Level 3

From the following output of #show ip ospf neighbor  it say the state is FULL/DR

Which router is the DR here?

Is it Router 2 or it's neighbor 192.168.45.1 ?

If it is Router2 then because it says DR is it fare to say that it CAN'T be a point to point ?

Router2# show ip ospf neighbor 

Neighbor ID     Pri    State      Dead Time    Address     Interface
192.168.45.1    1      FULL/DR    00:00:36     10.0.0.1    Ethernet0

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No problem, I think I have probably confused the issue.

So with an OSPF network type of point to point there is no election of a DR/BDR so everything you have read is correct and so are you.

But I am talking about physical links not OSPF network types.

Imagine you connect two L3 switches to each other and make that a routed L3 connection at either end using a /30 subnet ie. the only two devices on that subnet are the two switches.

So physically that is a point to point link but not to OSPF it isn't because to OSPF it is a broadcast network type which just so happens to have only two devices on it so a DR/BDR election would take place.

If you then configured "ip ospf network point-to-point" under the physical interfaces on each of the switches then that tells OSPF to treat it as a point to point link and then there is no election.

Like I say I may well have just confused the issue so apologies if I have.

Does that make sense ?

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is the other router that is the DR.

Not sure what R2 being the DR or not has to do with point to point status ?

As a general answer a physical point to point connection could still have a DR/BDR election unless under the interfaces you configured -

"ip ospf network point-to-point"

and then you would not.

Jon

So you are saying that   Router1 is the DR ? & not Router2 ?

If router one is the DR then the Network type can't be point to point because point to point DO NOT ELECT DR BDR is this statement correct as well?

I am now you have said the neighbor is Router 1 (you didn't say in your original post :))

The point to point network type does not elect a DR/BDR so correct in what you say.

The point I was trying to make is that you can have a physical point to point link but OSPF still sees it as a broadcast network so it would elect a DR/BDR unless you tell OSPF not to.

Jon

The point I was trying to make is that you can have a physical point to point link but OSPF still sees it as a broadcast network so it would elect a DR/BDR unless you tell OSPF not to.

Sorry Jon. that doesn't make sense to me. Everything I've read says that an ospf point to point link DOES NOT ELECT DR/BDR

like this document for example

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/open-shortest-path-first-ospf/13687-15.html

Please be patient with me, I'm just trying to understand it.

No problem, I think I have probably confused the issue.

So with an OSPF network type of point to point there is no election of a DR/BDR so everything you have read is correct and so are you.

But I am talking about physical links not OSPF network types.

Imagine you connect two L3 switches to each other and make that a routed L3 connection at either end using a /30 subnet ie. the only two devices on that subnet are the two switches.

So physically that is a point to point link but not to OSPF it isn't because to OSPF it is a broadcast network type which just so happens to have only two devices on it so a DR/BDR election would take place.

If you then configured "ip ospf network point-to-point" under the physical interfaces on each of the switches then that tells OSPF to treat it as a point to point link and then there is no election.

Like I say I may well have just confused the issue so apologies if I have.

Does that make sense ?

Jon

Thanks Jon. I've got it now! Much appreciated.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card