Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

OSPFv3 IPv6

Hi,

Just after some clarification on how to "correctly" configure OSPFv3.

Goal - Configure OSPF to only advertise "connecting" link addresses between our routers and router loop addresses, and to then use iBGP to advertise/redistribute all customer routes between our routers.

- Is it best practice to configure the router loopbacks as /64's and then configure "ipv6 ospf network point-to-point" under the loopback so that the IPv6 address is advertised as a /64 and not as /128?

- There is no need to have "passive-interface default + no passive-interface" under address-family ipv6 unicast as you enable OSPFv3 under each Interface?

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

Everyone's tags (2)
3 REPLIES

Re: OSPFv3 IPv6

John,

- Is it best practice to configure the router loopbacks as /64's and then configure "ipv6 ospf network point-to-point" under the loopback so that the IPv6 address is advertised as a /64 and not as /128?

I think it's going to depend on what you're wanting to use the loopback for. If you're going to use it for management purposes only, I'd personally just use the /128 that it advertses by default. If you're needing to advertise a network for users to get to, and you need to do that via loopback, then you should use the point-to-point. The drawback obviously is that you have a /64 that you're advertising as a /128, so you're losing that much address space. You could set aside a few addresses within the block and advertise them as /128s as well if you're needing something more granular.

- There is no need to have "passive-interface default + no passive-interface" under address-family ipv6 unicast as you enable OSPFv3 under each Interface?

I had to test this one. Passive interfaces are still used as they were in the past. If I configured an ipv6 address on a loopback and advertised that through s0/0 to my other neighbor, the other neighbor received the route. I configured passive-interface default and then no passive-interface s0/0. My neighbor still had the loopback ipv6 route. I would recommend it to avoid having neighborships happen where they shouldn't, and to avoid ospf updates on interfaces that you don't need.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Re: OSPFv3 IPv6

Thanks very much John.

OSPFv3 IPv6

We assign our loopbacks as a /128 and pull them from one /64 block.  Makes it easy to spot a loopback IP, easy check to see your /128 get propigated by pinging it remotely, and easy to set up an access list (based on that one /64) for all loopbacks network wide.

Goal with IPv6: shorter acesslists by pooling all your needs in specific blocks.

Rudy

Views
Helpful
Replies