Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Out of Band Solutions

Hey -

I want to look at some out-of-band management solutions for our Primary and remote sites. Of course I will start my own research - just want to get some ideas from the you guys - point me in a productive direction.

Open to all ideas/ architecture - big and small...I have some $ to play with.

For instance: a Dominion SX 32 connected to all of the network gear at the sites and a POTS line for the WAN connectivity?

What options are out there?

Thanx - Pat

5 REPLIES

At the site I like Digi CM or

At the site I like Digi CM or Avocent. You can find these for really cheap on eBay if you would consider a used solution. For a POTS line I like to use Zoom Telephonics H08-03328-DG.

Thanks Michael for the

Thanks Michael for the products...the both seem like good options

I'm also looking for an idea of how to accomplish this as far as the remote access via a phone line and keeping it secure. How does one dial into a remote device like a Avocent when laptops don't come with modems anymore.

Thanks

Typically I'll get a small

Typically I'll get a small desktop and load a version of Linux to sit in one of the data centers. Then I use a USB Modem and plug in to a POTS line at the DC. SSH to the box either locally within the enterprise or over VPN when needed and use it as a dialer to the sites.

Michael - Kind of new to this

Michael - Kind of new to this sort of thing.

Wouldn't it be better to terminate the line to a terminal server and have the terminal server connect to all the network equipment via console cables?

Also, I would like to be able to dial in from a laptop on my home network if possible....no VPN'd to the HQ. Because what good would the OOB management be if it relied on the HQ network?

And how would I keep these modem connections secure? Anyone could dial into a telephone number, right?

Thank you

hi,we use uplogix for our OOB

hi,

we use uplogix for our OOB.

we used the 5000 box with POTS port.

http://www.uplogix.com/products/out-of-band-management.php#.VEnHb1ckIUo

Views
Helpful
Replies