Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

PA-POS-2OC3 vs NM-1A-OC3SMI

Hi Team, i have Cisco 7200 VXR in which OC3 circuit is terminated.

Module installed in VXR is PA-POS-2OC3

Now i have to move this connection to 3745 Router.

What i need to know which card is required to connect OC3 in cisco 3745, as per online search this module NM-1A-OC3SMI will work, but i am confused with term ATM OC3 module, so is this the right card to connect same OC3 circit on 3745?

Thank you

20 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

The old 3745 is too slow for fiber speeds. You should have that a much faster router.

Lets say my traffic in not going to shoot over 100Mbps. in that case is it fine?

if not will 3845 be good option?

Also any comment on my original question?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: PA-POS-2OC3 vs NM-1A-OC3SMI

For POS, independently from traffic projections, you should use NPE-400, or better.

Not a 3845.

Gold

PA POS is a port adapter for Packet Over Sonet. NOT the same as the atm oc-3 module....

Haven't looked in a while but I don't ever recall anything smaller than a 7200 supporting OCx cards.

I'm with Paolo on this one....

I was just checking few websites, some one suggesting, instead of buying OC3 card, ask Carrier to give handoff in Ethernet Format, so that i can connect it on Gigabit port of my 3745.

is it an option?

Gold

very common, very doable. it takes all the sonet processing out of your hands

i know i am doing lot of question. sorry for that.

Does that mean my current OC3 circuit that is terminating in 7200VXR as fiber, i take it out , connect a converter Fiber to Ethernet in front of it and connect it to my 3700 router, simple as that?

Gold

Pretty much. Contact your OC-3 provider first. they may have some specifications that need to be met.

If you are running a link state protocol, you "may" not see the OC-x drop.

i am doing that now.

one more question, there is Giabit Ethernet Module available for 3700 with Copper and Fiber connection.

If i get this card, and then Carrier give me OC3 in fiber hand off or ethernet handoff, it wont matter, i just buy SFP for fiber/copper.

if thats true then why someone need to buy OC3 mdule for router?

if OC3 module for router is any different from GE Network module with fiber SFP?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/ps4908/product_data_sheet09186a008010fbd7_ps282_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Gold

1. you would have to look around the cisco modules for the 3700 platform.

2. thats the point! its al lot cheaper and easier.I would get the provider to do all this.

3. converting sonet to ethernet has evolved out of dwdm...in other words it took a while.

Sonet is a very robust transport protocol. Thats one of the resons the modules are so expensive. but you can do some good things like auto protection switching...Ethernet is much less expensive to build hardware for.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I'm afraid you fail to understand a couple things:

1. A 3745 is too slow for either OC3 or Gigabit Ethernet speeds. See attached document.

2. There is no POS OC3 module for 37xx, or even ISR G1 or G2 routers.

None of the two problems above exists on the 7200, when using a (bare) minimum of NPE-400.

Thank you PAolo for your patience and support.

Looke like my backup inventory 3745 and 3845 are not helpful.

and i need to spend some money on 7200 NPE-400 with PA-POS-2OC3

Gold

try to get an NPE G-2.

Don't forget the bandwidth calculation  step for populating a 7200

Thank you, i am not expecting any thing more than 80 to 90Mbps max

Gold

Hi Miller, Thank you for biringing this in my knowledge, i didnt know it earlier.

so NPE-400 has 600 Bandwidth point on each left and right bus.

If i buy below Fast Module and install on left side.

2-port Fast Ethernet/Ethernet
I/O controller

C7200-I/O-2FE/E8

High

and buy below OC3 module on right side, then i am good to go? as i didnt exceed 600Points on any interface

1-port SFP module-based OC-3c/STM-1

PA-POS-1OC3

High

Please correct me if i understood it right?

My requirement is to connect OC3 interface ( max traffic expected 80Mbps +- ) and connect this router to my LAN.

Gold

you should be ok. I would go with the NPG-G2 also.

I'm not 100% sure but the NPE-400 might be EOS.

I wish i was given enough budget to go for NPE-G2 :-s

At this time, i have to get something cheap.

after searching online from different vendors websites. to ful fill my 80Mbps traffic requirement over OC3.

here is what i will finally get.

Lets hope i dont run into any serious issues

300$-PA-POS-OC3SMI /Duplex SC-Type Cable and Connector

100$-C7200-I/O-2FE/E

300$-NPE-400  

300$-CISCO7204VXR

100$-64MB ATA PCMCIA card 7200VXR compatible

1100$ Total

By the way is there any other Cisco dedicated forum, that help buying/selecting equipment, like pre sale forums?

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Both the 3745 and 3845, especially the 3745, are a bit lightweight even for 100 Mbps.  If you look at the performance sheet Paolo provided as a reference, look for a router that does at least 2x the Fast/CEF switching Mbps you expect to utilize to allow for duplex traffic.  3 to 4x is even better as you really don't want to push a software router routinely pass about 70% utilization.

If you go with a Ethernet hand-off route, L3 switches also become an option (depending on your feature needs).

Hall of Fame Super Gold

You're welcome. Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

Views
Helpful
Replies