cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PA-POS-2OC3 vs NM-1A-OC3SMI

ahmad82pkn
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Team, i have Cisco 7200 VXR in which OC3 circuit is terminated.

Module installed in VXR is PA-POS-2OC3

Now i have to move this connection to 3745 Router.

What i need to know which card is required to connect OC3 in cisco 3745, as per online search this module NM-1A-OC3SMI will work, but i am confused with term ATM OC3 module, so is this the right card to connect same OC3 circit on 3745?

Thank you

20 Replies 20

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The old 3745 is too slow for fiber speeds. You should have that a much faster router.

Lets say my traffic in not going to shoot over 100Mbps. in that case is it fine?

if not will 3845 be good option?

Also any comment on my original question?

For POS, independently from traffic projections, you should use NPE-400, or better.

Not a 3845.

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

PA POS is a port adapter for Packet Over Sonet. NOT the same as the atm oc-3 module....

Haven't looked in a while but I don't ever recall anything smaller than a 7200 supporting OCx cards.

I'm with Paolo on this one....

I was just checking few websites, some one suggesting, instead of buying OC3 card, ask Carrier to give handoff in Ethernet Format, so that i can connect it on Gigabit port of my 3745.

is it an option?

very common, very doable. it takes all the sonet processing out of your hands

i know i am doing lot of question. sorry for that.

Does that mean my current OC3 circuit that is terminating in 7200VXR as fiber, i take it out , connect a converter Fiber to Ethernet in front of it and connect it to my 3700 router, simple as that?

Pretty much. Contact your OC-3 provider first. they may have some specifications that need to be met.

If you are running a link state protocol, you "may" not see the OC-x drop.

i am doing that now.

one more question, there is Giabit Ethernet Module available for 3700 with Copper and Fiber connection.

If i get this card, and then Carrier give me OC3 in fiber hand off or ethernet handoff, it wont matter, i just buy SFP for fiber/copper.

if thats true then why someone need to buy OC3 mdule for router?

if OC3 module for router is any different from GE Network module with fiber SFP?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/ps4908/product_data_sheet09186a008010fbd7_ps282_Products_Data_Sheet.html

1. you would have to look around the cisco modules for the 3700 platform.

2. thats the point! its al lot cheaper and easier.I would get the provider to do all this.

3. converting sonet to ethernet has evolved out of dwdm...in other words it took a while.

Sonet is a very robust transport protocol. Thats one of the resons the modules are so expensive. but you can do some good things like auto protection switching...Ethernet is much less expensive to build hardware for.

I'm afraid you fail to understand a couple things:

1. A 3745 is too slow for either OC3 or Gigabit Ethernet speeds. See attached document.

2. There is no POS OC3 module for 37xx, or even ISR G1 or G2 routers.

None of the two problems above exists on the 7200, when using a (bare) minimum of NPE-400.

Thank you PAolo for your patience and support.

Looke like my backup inventory 3745 and 3845 are not helpful.

and i need to spend some money on 7200 NPE-400 with PA-POS-2OC3

try to get an NPE G-2.

Don't forget the bandwidth calculation  step for populating a 7200

Thank you, i am not expecting any thing more than 80 to 90Mbps max

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card