cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packeet Shaper and Cisco QOS

Just Kennie
Level 1
Level 1

PLs I want someone to expalin wish is better in classifying and marking of traffic

4 Replies 4

n.nandrekar
Level 4
Level 4

hi!

Packet shaping is actually part of Cisco Qos.

Regards,

Niranjan

mohindersingh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Kennie,

Packet shaping is a part of Cisco Qos only.

As you asked you wanna go for packet classification and marking techniques...

You can do packet classfication and marking with cisco qos with the help of access-lists and NBAR.

Once the packets are classified and marked, you can apply the packets treatment.

In treatment you can use policing and shaping.

Shaping means you will shape the data traffic.

for ex:- if you have a bandwidth of 1M so when ur traffic will cross 1M, the extra packets will be shaped or we can say start accumulating in a queue so that once the link is free, they can get a transmission..

Other concept is called policing.. which says that if your data crosses the bandwidth limit of your link, the extra packets will be dropped..

This is a high level overview..to have indepth knowledge..please read Cisco Qos article..

Plzz rate the post if find useful..

Mahi

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you asking about packet shaping with regard to other Cisco QoS features, or are you asking about Packeteer's (non-Cisco product) PacketShaper? If the former, packet shaping is a buffering bandwidth limiting regulator, wouldn't expect it to classify or mark traffic. If the latter, don't know enough about the Packeteer product to know for sure, although since the primary purpose of the appliance is WAN application performance, I would expect it to have additional features vs. a Cisco router or switch which could also encompass classification and marking traffic.

michaelchoo
Level 1
Level 1

I assume that you're asking us to compare Packeteer's PacketShaper against Cisco's in-built QoS functionality on their routers/switches. Hmmm... since we're in Cisco's discussion forum, the politically correct answer may be Cisco. But, realistically, specialized appliance is superior to a general purpose device to do a certain job. In this case, I'd say that Packeteer PacketShaper is better than standard IOS QoS in doing QoS stuff (classifying, marking, prioritizing, etc.).

Now I may get in trouble with Cisco for saying that...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: