cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Paging Output From Show Commands

rossua994
Level 1
Level 1

Whilst working on Live Labs on my CCNA course I notice sometimes '-- More --' appears when running the 'show running' command (and hitting spacebar then moves on to the next page of output). Sometimes the whole output is displayed all at once, ie. with no '-- More --' displayed. What command on a router controls whether 'More' is used or not for command output ?

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

If you want to display the entire running config all at once

router# term len 0

If you want to display it page by page

router# term len 24

Note you can yse any number but 24 is about right.

HTH

Jon

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ross

I believe that you are looking for the "term length" command. This controls how many lines of output will be displayed before the output stops and displays the more prompt. If you set term length 0 this tells the router to display all the output without using the more prompt.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

rossua994
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for replies. Is there a global config mode command which will make the setting permanent, ie for every time the router is booted up ? I take it that the 'terminal length' command applies only to the current session.

Ross

Yes there is a command in line config mode (not global) that will permanently set the terminal length. If you set the length in exec mode (with the terminal length command) then it is effective only for that exec session. If you set the length in config mode then it is permanent. The command is "length" under the console line or the vty lines:

1841-test#conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

1841-test(config)#line vty 0 4

1841-test(config-line)#length ?

<0-512> Number of lines on screen (0 for no pausing)

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you very much indeed, this has been very helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco