cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

partial DS-3 on new platforms

stephen.simpson
Level 1
Level 1

We want to move 3 partial DS-3s off a 7513 and a 6509-MSFC onto a router that will take up less cabinet space. The DS-3s are currently connected via coax. We were considering moving the DS-3s to 3845 or 7200. Do you have any recommendations? Will a 3845 be able to handle it or would a 7200 be better? What kind of cards will I need to do either one?

5 Replies 5

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

Its going to depend if you are combining the 3 partials into a single ds3 or still need 3 physical interfaces.

I don't think you can put 3 ds3 cards into a 3845. Even a lot of the 7200 models will need the faster router card to handle multiple ds3 cards.

One thing to consider is that you may be able to reuse the ds3 cards from your 7513 in your 7200.

Well, two of the three connections are actually on serial interfaces now, 6Mbps on one, 44Mbps on another, and a third one coming soon at over 3 Mbps. I had never seen that much bandwidth running on a serial interface before I got here last month.

How about two 3845s? That would be about 8U of cabinet space. What kind of "faster router card" were you referring to?

I have since looked this up and it says it will take 2 ds3 cards in a 3845 but it is unclear if it can run both at full line rate. With 2 routers it should work.

On a 7200 you can most likely run 3 ds3 cards in anything bigger than the NPE-225 but this link has all the nasty details about bandwidth points and what slots you can put things in.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2033/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008014cf5c.html#wp1057192

Since rack space rental in the hosting center is a monthly cost, I have to consider that also. If we went with two 3845s, and three DS3 cards, the procurement cost quoted was over $31K, and it would take up 6 RU of rack space. One 7206 could handle all three DS-3s and take up 3 RU. Still waiting on a price quote for a 7206VXR and 3 cards. I think the cards would be PA-A3-T3, which would be 90 BW points each, putting us well under the max of 600 points per bus. Checking on cost difference between NPE-G1 versus an NPE-400.

Since it appears you are going to use atm cards you may be able to combine the 2 smaller circuits and save some money. It will depend on if these are meant for redundancey and if they are on the same provider. With atm it is simple to have the vendor move the PVC to the other circuit. It is much more of a chanllenge to get them to move 2 non atm fractional ds3 into one physical circuit.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card